Imagine using the sails of the ship to teach physics out on the deck. Imagine taking the students hiking in the Amazon and learning about local culture. Imagine living in a tight-knit community where you learn alongside your students what it means to be a good shipmate. If you are seeking personal and professional development and an educational experience that reaches far beyond the four walls of a classroom, A+ World Academy could be for you.
We are always open to future talent that is interested in leading our classrooms. If you hold an appropriate teaching certification and offer relevant experience in a secondary school class subject (desirably with advanced placement courses), please get in touch with us to discuss possible opportunities.
A+ World Academy is seeking enthusiastic, passionate educators and a Dean for the 2018/2019 academic year to teach grade 11 and 12 aboard a school at sea. The school consists of 60 students, 7 faculty and 13 professional mariners all living and working together aboard the Norwegian vessel, Sørlandet, the world’s oldest operating full-rigged tall ship.
Currently seeking Life Sciences teacher for the 2018/2019 academic year.
Faculty teach courses with experiential opportunities to link curriculum to the ship, the environment and the ports of call where appropriate. Small class sizes allow for an individualized approach to learning and development in a supportive environment. Note that class days occur while at sea and time in port is approximately 50% mandatory port activity programs and student supervision and 50% time off.
- Bachelor of Education and minimum of 2 years teaching experience
- Experience in a boarding school setting is an asset
- Teaching a course load of approximately 4 courses, 1-3 which may be at an Advanced Placement level
- Integration of ship, environment and ports of call into curriculum where appropriate
- Submission of all unit and lesson plans to the land-based office
- Consistent observation and evaluation of student performance and development
- Student support as necessary
- Regular communication around student successes and challenges both academically and behaviourally to administration, both ship board and land based
- Willingness to play an active role in the life of the shipboard community
- Supervision in boarding school environment
- Ship duties as appropriate: the ship will be your home and faculty are considered part of the crew
- Participation in and supervision of field study programs in the various ports of call.
- A team-player who enjoys working in a collaborative environment
- Positive role model for others
- Excellent conflict resolution and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Effective time management and organizational skills, with the ability to plan, prioritize and utilize resources
To apply for a Faculty position please submit a cover letter and resume, along with one lesson plan that incorporates the ship, environment or a port of call into the lesson to email@example.com.
** NOTE: Living and working on a school at sea can at times be physically challenging and this lifestyle necessitates physical demands including occasional lifting, pulling, and good balance. Ideal candidates will have a reasonable level of fitness for both shipboard living and port activities.
We currently don’t have any position open in Admission
We currently don’t have any position open in Administration
We currently don’t have any position open in Maritime
To apply: Send a resume, photo and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: all applicants will receive an acknowledgment of their application, however, only those qualifying for a ‘short list’ will be invited to an interview.